The J. Paul Getty Trust Research Home Search Tools & Databases Collection Inventories and Finding Aids
Collection Inventories and Finding Aids


Home | Return to Search Results

Find a term within this inventory

Print View

Ranch House records, 1921, 1945-1960s, 1975-1976, 1980s, 1999-2007, undated

To access physical materials at the Getty, go to the library catalog record for this collection and click "Request an Item." Click here for general library access policy. See the Administrative Information section of this finding aid for access restrictions specific to the records described below. Please note, some of the records may be stored off site; advanced notice is required for access to these materials.
Guide to the J. Paul Getty Ranch House Records, 1921, 1945-1960s, 1975-1976, 1980s, 1999-2007, and undated

Scope and Content of Collection

Records consist of correspondence, memoranda, reports, contracts, permits, invoices, brochures, clippings, blueline prints, blueprints, architectural drawings, and photographs, 1921, 1945-1960s, 1975-1976, 1980s, 1999-2007 and undated, that describe J. Paul Getty's Ranch House in Malibu, California and the alterations made to it over time.

The history of the building is summarized in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) documentation, which provides background information on the Ranch House, including its significance, history, architecture, a site description, maps, plans, and photographs. The renovation and administration records contain information about work undertaken in the 1950s to expand gallery space by the Los Angeles architectural firm of Claud Beelman & Associates; the financial administration of the project was handled by Norris Bramlett. The records describe preparations for a proposed visit by Getty to the Ranch in the 1960s through copies of correspondence between Getty, Norris Bramlett, and Eileen Vogler, a long-time Getty employee. In March 1973, the Trustees passed a resolution requesting that Getty authorize construction of an access road to the Museum, and the records contain information about the costs and planning of this project. In the late 1970s the Trustees explored the possibility of expanding the Ranch House for more gallery space. Gruen Associates was retained to advise the Trustees, and their report, related correspondence, and a geological investigation is included in the records. Also included in the records are two inventories of the collections conducted in the late 1970s (the purpose of these inventories is unknown); and letters from Stephen Garrett, Museum Director, to the Ranch House staff discussing their transfer to museum staff. The records also include architectural drawings, a large portion of which relate to the renovation of the property by the architect John Byers, begun in 1946, for both residential and art gallery spaces in the house. The photographs included in the records depict the Ranch House before, during, and after renovation.

Organization

These records are organized in four series:
Series I. Historic American Buildings Survey documentation, 1999, 2001;
Series II. Renovation and administration records, 1954-1982;
Series III. Architectural drawings, 1921, 1945-1951, 1975-1976 and undated;
Series IV. Photographs and subject file, circa 1950s-1960s, 1980s, 1999-2007, and undated.




The J. Paul Getty Trust The J. Paul Getty Trust
© J. Paul Getty Trust
Privacy Policy Terms of Use