The J. Paul Getty Trust Research Home Search Tools & Databases Collection Inventories and Finding Aids
Collection Inventories and Finding Aids


Home | Return to Search Results

Find a term within this inventory

Print View

Library inventory and accession records, 1954-1965, 1977

To access physical materials at the Getty, go to the library catalog record for this collection and click "Request an Item." Click here for general library access policy. See the Administrative Information section of this finding aid for access restrictions specific to the records described below. Please note, some of the records may be stored off site; advanced notice is required for access to these materials.
Guide to the J. Paul Getty Museum, Library Inventory and Accession Records, 1954-1965, 1977

Administrative History

The J. Paul Getty Museum was established as a charitable trust in 1953 by oil tycoon J. Paul Getty in order to house his growing art collections. The J. Paul Getty Museum originally opened in 1954 in two rooms of Mr. Getty's Ranch House in the Pacific Palisades near Malibu, California. Each year the number of museum visitors increased, and though Mr. Getty curtailed his art acquisitions activities beginning in 1958, the museum continued to grow. The development of the library began during the mid to late 1950s primarily to meet the needs of Museum curators. In the early years the library was located in the curator's office between the Ranch House and the Conservation area.

In the fall of 1968 Mr. Getty decided to build a separate museum facility on the Ranch House property. The new museum facility, later referred to as the Getty Villa, opened to the public on January 16, 1974. The library moved to the basement of the Villa upon completion of the building. In 1983 the Museum received J. Paul Getty's estate funds, the trust's name was officially changed from the J. Paul Getty Museum Trust to the J. Paul Getty Trust, and the museum retained the name the J. Paul Getty Museum. In an effort to contribute to the field of art and art history the Trust developed several programs. In 1983 the library began by the Museum in the 1950s became part of the program the Getty Center for the History of Art and the Humanities (GCHAH). The GCHAH was later renamed the Getty Research Institute (GRI). Today the GRI is home to one of the largest art libraries in the world.




The J. Paul Getty Trust The J. Paul Getty Trust
© J. Paul Getty Trust
Privacy Policy Terms of Use